The RequirementsTo be a strong fit for this opportunity you will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical, Industrial, etc.).
- Ten years of progressive engineering experience.
- Experience in a complex, high-volume manufacturing environment.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in a manager or director level role.
- Experience designing and overseeing large capital projects.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency with ERPs (JD Edwards preferred), AutoCad and/or PLCs.
- A proactive approach and self-starter mentality.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to build effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Competitive drive combined with a team-player approach; ability to work independently and as a collaborative team member.
- Strong analytical reasoning skills; logic.
- Honesty and integrity.
- Flexibility and adaptability.
Note: Henry Company prides itself on the quality of its workforce. All offers of employment are contingent on the successful completion of a background check and drug test.
The RoleReporting to the Senior Vice President of Operations, as the Director of Engineering, you will be responsible for managing and directing all manufacturing and distribution capital projects for Henry Company in the US and Canada. You’ll lead a team of three direct reports, as you also manage the resources across our portfolio. You will work closely with our Plant leaders located at our various manufacturing sites throughout the US and Canada, helping them drive productivity gains by incorporating changes/efficiencies and tracking different metrics.
Your goal will be to ensure our projects are on time, on budget and completed with the highest levels of quality.The priorities for this position include strategic planning, process equipment and facility evaluation, process improvement and cost reduction, design, budget and management of production and distribution capital projects to meet company objectives in compliance with quality standards.
More specifically, your key responsibilities will be to:
- Manage the overall coordination of engineering resources and teams to provide cross-functional expertise and resources (engage expertise in specific areas) to support implementation of capital/productivity project.
- Oversee and develop the Engineering staff as they manage projects from initial scope development through project completion. This includes ensuring projects are well executed and accomplish the business impact outlined in the project scope, completed on time and within budget.
- Identify key opportunities through driving continuous improvement and best practices to improve efficiencies across manufacturing and quality throughout operations.
- Manage the development and active management of strategic asset planning:
- In-house sourcing of strategic product categories
- Rolled goods technology & packaging developments
- Next generation coating plants & automation
- Oversee the development of annual capital plans and ownership of execution.
- Take ownership of systems for plant maintenance & tracking (CMMS systems).
- Serve as resource for lean manufacturing processes and support of culture change.
- Serve as resource for process safety programs.
- Maintain a high level of knowledge of mechanical and electrical systems. Be capable of coaching others and managing general, mechanical and electrical contractors.
- Build and lead an engineering team of varying disciplines to support the Henry® Sales and Operations Plan now and in the future.
Pictured: Henry products and systems manage the flow of water, air, vapor, and energy through the building envelope, from foundation to roof, improving the structure’s energy efficiency, livability, and sustainability for the benefit of the owner, occupant, and the environment.
Why HenryThis is an outstanding opportunity to grow your career with a company that respects its employees and cares about their success. Consider a few more reasons to join us:
Rare, best-of-both-worlds opportunity
We are a company with a long history of success, but we are not content to rest on our laurels. We are small enough that your successes within Engineering will be noticed, appreciated and rewarded, and you'll enjoy a collaborative environment in which you can continue to develop your skills and help your team reach their highest levels of success.
Excellent compensation and benefits
In addition to a competitive base, bonus and achievement incentives, you’ll enjoy a comprehensive compensation package designed to attract and retain top talent. Benefits include medical, dental and vision coverage; Company-paid life and disability insurance; a 401(k) retirement plan with matching and independent Company contributions; generous paid holiday, vacation and sick leave, and an Employee Assistance Program.
Autonomy and support
Your manager will outline clearly-defined expectations and goals, and as long as you are hitting the mark, you’ll have a lot of leeway and freedom to make this role your own. We take pride in our ability to execute flawlessly and you’ll be a key driver in helping to make a good thing even better.
Growth = opportunity, and while you could be happy and successful in this role for years to come, once you prove yourself here, you could pursue additional opportunities within Henry.
Growing industry leader
Henry® is an industry leader in multiple markets, holding a #1 or #2 position in many of the markets we serve. Our innovative, industry-leading products improve the livability and sustainability of all types of buildings, from the tallest commercial skyscrapers to residential homes all across the United States and Canada. Our track record of sustained success results from delivering innovative and high-performing products and solutions to our customers. Henry competes with some of the biggest building product companies in the world.
Privately owned business
We believe being privately owned is a competitive advantage. Ours is a people-centric culture of entrepreneurship, change, continuous improvement and rewards.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will be a thought leader who is also hands-on and involved on the tactical level. For example, you will help execute projects while also stepping outside the box to provide strategic vision. Your fresh ideas and input will be welcomed with open arms, and we will look to you to bring improvements to our engineering technology, as well as our process and culture. You’ll leverage your emotional intelligence and strong change management skills to champion change and articulate how the plants will benefit from your proposed changes.
Another success marker will be your ability to quickly learn our products and readily understand how the business model works. Of course, we understand there will be a learning curve as you come onboard, but we also expect that you'll hit the ground running and make some early wins.
In addition, our successful team members possess the following core competencies:
- Customer focus: Builds confidence among internal and external customers based on commitment and results; committed to increasing customer satisfaction; sets achievable customer expectations; assumes responsibility for solving customer problems; ensures commitments to customers are met; solicits opinions and ideas from customers; accessible and responsive.
- Flawless execution: Uses a disciplined and structured approach to get results; sets challenging goals; prioritizes tasks; identifies and overcomes obstacles; accepts responsibility; sets and meets team standards and responsibilities; provides leadership and/or seeks ways to remain engaged and motivated.
- Integrity/ethics: Deals with others in a straightforward and honest manner, conveying both good news and bad; accepts responsibility and is accountable for actions; consistently maintains confidentiality; understands and promotes Company values.
- Managing for results: Sets challenging and productive goals and uses a disciplined and structured approach to meet them; consistently delivers on commitments; provides leadership, motivation and support to teammates; creates systems and procedures to track progress and measure results; overcomes obstacles and accepts accountability.
- Teamwork: Invested in common objectives and goals; works collaboratively across functions; meets individual deadlines and helps meet team goals; listens to others and values opinions; shares information and resources effectively; welcomes newcomers and promotes a team atmosphere.